Learning and Life
Sparrow Tree Square is a series of miniature literature anthologies for children ages 8-16. Each colorful, themed mini-anthology contains classic literature, fine artwork and illustrations, original articles and activities, and book recommendations in a magazine-inspired format. By exploring literature through fun and familiar themes, Sparrow Tree Square mini-anthologies help readers to make connections between literature, art, culture, and everyday life.
How to Use Sparrow Tree Square
- Use Sparrow Tree Square at home for fun and enrichment, or as a supplement to homeschool or classroom lessons.
- Share Sparrow Tree Square with learners ages 8-16, and return to more advanced selections as learners progress.
- Explore the series at any pace and in any order that you like.
Why Use Sparrow Tree Square
- Sparrow Tree Square complements many educational approaches, particularly Charlotte Mason and Waldorf.
- The poems and stories in Sparrow Tree Square are appropriate for advanced but emotionally sensitive readers.
- Using Sparrow Tree Square encourages learners and their families to expand their exploration of topics covered in the series through activities, traditions, celebrations, and further reading.
- Sparrow Tree Square showcases the beauty and wonder of our world and the creativity of humanity.
Sparrow Tree Square was originally published online as a monthly magazine of public domain children's literature. The monthly issues were adapted to create the current readers, with several changes:
- Literary selections have been expanded and altered.
- Selections previously thought by Sparrow Tree Square to be in the public domain but which are in fact still protected by copyright have been removed.
- Poetry selections have been reformatted from center-justified to proper indentation.
- All poetry selections have been numbered by line.
- Original content has been substantially expanded, and old articles have been rewritten.
- All new artwork has been used to illustrate selections.
- Formatting has been unified.